CONNECT (855) 910-7234

Monthly Archives: August 2015

Estate Planning: What You Need to Know

Estate Planning: What You Need to Know

1.You must fund the deemed disposition tax that will arise when you die and use spousal rollover to defer the tax.

Subject to certain limited exceptions, an individual is deemed to dispose of all assets for fair market value proceeds upon death:

  • Capital gains and losses will be triggered and tax will be payable on the net capital gains – top tax rate ranges from a low of 19.5 per cent in Alberta to a high of 25 per cent in Nova Scotia.
  • Your estate can make an election to pay the tax over 10 years–but interest will be charged at the prescribed rate + 4 per cent, which is not tax deductible
  • Without proper planning to fund the tax, your family may need to sell your business to pay the tax

If your shares have a value of $10-million and a nominal cost, the deemed disposition tax could be as much as $2.5-million. If you have a spouse or a common law partner who survives you, the tax can be deferred if your will transfers your assets:

  • to your spouse or partner directly, or
  • to a “spousal trust” for the benefit of your spouse or partner


2. You can institute a flexible estate freeze to prevent tax liability from increasing

The deemed disposition tax arising on your private company shares will increase as the value of your business increases–so the tax could be as much as:

  • $2.5-million if the capital gain on your shares is $10-million
  • $5-million if the capital gain doubles to $20-million before your death


An estate freeze of your company can prevent your tax from increasing over time. It generally involves an individual exchanging their common shares for preferred shares that have a fair market value equal to the value of the common shares and requires a valuation. But the structure can be very flexible:

  • You can control your company after the freeze
  • The new common shares can be owned by a trust for the benefit of you and your family members for almost 21 years
  • You can be one of the trustees of the trust
  • You can potentially share in the future growth after the freeze


3. Consider a redemption strategy after the freeze to reduce tax on death

A flexible estate freeze can prevent the death tax from increasing. The deemed disposition tax can be reduced and possibly eliminated by redeeming a portion of your preferred shares after the estate freeze as you require funds, instead of paying bonuses or dividends. For example, assume you freeze your company at a value of $20-million – your tax on death will be as much as $5-million:

  • if you receive an annual dividend of $500,000 on your preferred shares, you will pay tax on the dividend and your death taxes will not be reduced
  • if instead $500,000 of your preferred shares are bought back by your company, you pay the same tax–but your death tax will be reduced by up to $125,000 – and by $1.25-million after 10 years


4. Plan to use your capital gains exemption and to use exemptions of family members

The use of your lifetime capital gains exemption (“LCGE”) of $750,000 can reduce tax payable:

  • on a sale of your shares, or
  • when your shares are subject to the deemed disposition on death by up to $187,500 if your shares qualify


5. Plan to avoid double tax on your private company shares

Any time an individual dies owning shares of a private company, there is an exposure to double tax:

  • once when the deemed disposition arises on their shares on death, and
  • again if the company disposes of its appreciated assets and distributes the proceeds to the shareholders


Double tax exposure may not exist if you directly own shares of your operating business, but double tax planning will likely be required if you own shares of your operating business through a holding company or have investment assets or real estate in your company. The most common plan to avoid double tax must be completed by the executors of an individual’s estate within one year after the individual’s death. If your will transfers your shares to a spousal trust, the trust should be drafted to provide for its continuance for up to three years after your spouse’s or partner’s death.


Certain powers should be included in your will to enable your executors to complete double tax planning transactions, including power to:

  • incorporate new companies and transfer assets to private companies
  • wind-up private companies and to have private company shares redeemed, and
  • power to make tax elections


The executors should be advised that planning transactions will be required after death to avoid double tax and to seek tax advice.


6. Create trusts in your wills to reduce tax payable by your beneficiaries

Instead of leaving inheritances directly to your spouse and children, consider creating separate trusts in your will for their inheritance:

  • this strategy can save tax each year of up to $16,000 for each beneficiary even if the beneficiary receives all of the income. The savings will depend on the income earned in the trust and the province of residency.
  • the use of trusts may also facilitate creditor protection and protection on a breakdown of a beneficiary’s marriage – legal advice should be obtained
  • accounting records and a trust tax return will be required annually


If you will be receiving a significant inheritance from a parent, these same advantages are available to you if your parent creates a trust in their will for your inheritance.


7. Plan the ownership of your assets and your wills to minimize probate fees

Probate is an administrative procedure under which a court validates a deceased’s will and confirms the appointment of the executors. For estate assets having a value of $2 million, the probate fees range from a nominal fee in provinces such as Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec and the Yukon to a high of about $30,000 in Nova Scotia and Ontario.


There is no spousal rollover–double probate may apply without planning. Consider:

  • owning your home jointly with the right of survivorship with your spouse to avoid double probate (subject to creditor concerns)
  • using a spousal trust to avoid double probate on investment assets


If you live in Ontario, consider the use of multiple wills for your private company shares and receivables to avoid Ontario probate on these assets. Consider named beneficiaries of insurance proceeds or create an insurance trust in your will to avoid probate on insurance proceeds. Similar planning could be considered by your parents.


8. Structure donations in your will to ensure the tax benefit can be claimed

Charitable bequests can offset 100 per cent of net income in the year of death and the year preceding death if structured properly. Common traps:

  • donations not meeting the technical requirements of the Income Tax Act
  • the donation tax credit is not matched with the tax on death–this may be an issue if you hold the shares of your business or investment assets through a holding company, and
  • donations made from the spousal trust after spouse dies is not structured to qualify for a donation tax credit


9. Consider the non-tax implications of your estate and will plan

Have you developed a contingency plan in the event of an untimely death? Do you have an exit strategy for the business, whether it is to:

  • sell to a third party purchaser or to management, or
  • to transfer your business to your family?


If you plan to transfer your shares to your family:

  • have you identified your successor?
  • have you discussed this with your family?


The Basics of GST / HST

The Basics of GST / HST

What is GST and HST?


GST or the goods and services tax is a tax that applies to the supply of most goods and services in Canada. These include real propery and intangible personal property.


HST or harmonized sales tax generally applies to the same base of property and services as GST. HST is imposed in participating provinces that have harmonized their provincial sales tax with the GST.


New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario and Prince Edward Island are participating provinces. in the other provinces and territories, GST is imposed on taxable goods and services and there may also be a provincial sales tax or a retail sales tax in place.


What supplies does the GST and HST apply to?


Most goods and services supplied in or imported into Canada are taxable supplies and are subject to GST and HST.


Some supplies of good and services are are charged at a 0% taxation rate.

These include:

  • basic groceries such as milk, bread, and vegetables
  • agricultural products like grain or raw wool
  • prescription drugs and drug-dispensing fees
  • medical devices

A small number of goods and services are exempt from taxation.

These include:

  • used residential housing
  • long-term residential accommodation and residential condominium fees
  • most health, medical, and dental services performed for medical reasons
  • child care services for children 14 years or younger
  • bridge, road, and ferry tolls
  • legal aid services
  • educational services such as:
  • courses from a vocational school that leads to a certificate or a diploma to practice a trade or a vocation, or
  • tutoring services for an individual who takes a course approved for credit by a school authority or the service follows a curriculum designated by a school authority;
  • music lessons
  • most services provided by financial institutions
  • arranging for and issuing insurance policies by insurance companies, agents, and brokers
  • most goods and services provided by charities
  • certain goods and services provided by non-profit organizations, governments, and other public service bodies

Ten Common Questions Asked About Business Registration

1.What programs can I apply for with the Business Name Search, Registration and Renewal application?

You can use this application to perform a business name search, register or renew your business name, apply to the Ontario Ministry of Revenue for Employer Health Tax (EHT), and apply to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).


2. Are there any changes to the business name registration process as a result of the implementation of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)?

As of July 1, 2010 Retail Sales Tax (RST) registration is only required for specific types of insurance companies. All businesses in Ontario must apply for Employer Health Tax (EHT) and Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) when applicable, as well as apply for an HST number with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The Integrated Business Services Application can no longer be used for RST application.

If you have questions related to RST and/or EHT please contact 1 866 ONT TAXS (1 866 668 8297). To apply for CRA programs including Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), payroll deductions, corporate income tax and import/export accounts visit Business Registration Online.


3. What is a Master Business licence?

A Master Business Licence confirms that a business name has been submitted to the Ministry of Government Services, Companies and Personal Property Security Branch for registration on the public record. It includes the registration and expiry dates, as well as the Business Identification Number. It can also be used as proof of registration for a business name at financial institutions. A Business Name registration is required to be renewed every five years and a new Master Business Licence will be issued.

When the Master Business Licence is presented to any Ontario business program, the client is not required to repeat information contained on this licence.


4. How do I apply for a Master Business Licence?

You can apply for a business name registration and receive a Master Business licence in any one of the following ways:

  • Online from your home or office
  • Online at a public location (includes ServiceOntario Centres)
  • Private sector assisted services
  • Print and mail your registration form
  • In person registration


5. What is the Service Guarantee?

ServiceOntario guarantees that an electronic copy of your Master Business Licence (eMBL) will be sent to you by email within two (2) business days after the date you registered a new business name. If you do not receive your eMBL within two (2) business days, upon your request ServiceOntario will refund your business name registration fee if the terms and conditions for a refund have been met.


6. What is an electronic Master Business Licence (eMBL)?

An eMBL is an electronic copy of the Master Business Licence delivered in PDF format via email. The eMBL is a copy of the immediate MBL received during a new business name registration. If an immediate MBL is not received during a business name registration and a valid email address is provided, the eMBL will replace the mailed paper copy.


7. How do I obtain an electronic Master Business Licence and become eligible for the Service Guarantee?

You will obtain and become eligible for the Service Guarantee if you provide a valid email address and successfully register a new business name via the Integrated Business Services Application.


8. What forms of payments are accepted?

Online registrations will only accept VISA, MasterCard or American Express payments. You can make payment by cash, cheque or money order at ServiceOntario Centres.


9. How long does it take to register a business name and receive a Master Business Licence (MBL)?

The Integrated Business Service Application is available through the ServiceOntario website 24/7. It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete the registration.

If you complete your registration between 8:30 am and 6:00 pm, an MBL is produced for printing immediately. In addition, if you provide a valid email address you will be sent an eMBL within 2 business days, regardless of when the registration was completed. If no valid e-mail address is provided and the registration is completed outside of these hours, the MBL will be sent through regular mail within ten business days.


10.Does this service apply to business name renewals or any other services associated with IBSA?

No, the delivery of the electronic copy of the MBL within two (2) business days applies only to new business name registrations.

Copyright © 2006-2015 | RC Financial Group Inc. All rights reserved.